The EU Mass Influx Directive of March 3, 2022 provides Ukrainian refugees with quick access to various areas of life in the host country. These include
- temporary residence permit
- access to the labor market
- social benefits
- medical care and
- educational opportunities.
On March 14, 2022, this directive was implemented into national law with the “Displaced Persons Ordinance”.
The following persons, who were displaced from Ukraine as of February 24, 2022 due to the war, are entitled to temporary right of residence in Austria until March 3, 2023, according to the Displaced Persons Ordinance:
- Ukrainian citizens residing in Ukraine,
- Third-country nationals and stateless persons who enjoy international protection status or a comparable protection status under Ukrainian law,
- as well as their family members,
- Ukrainian nationals who were legally residing in Austria on February 24, 2022 and who cannot return to Ukraine due to the armed conflict. This temporary right of residence thus also applies to already issued residence titles whose validity is about to expire.
An automatic extension of the residence period beyond March 3, 2023 is foreseen for six months or up to a maximum of one more year, unless there is an EU decision terminating it prematurely.
With the temporary residence permit (“Card for Displaced Persons”) there is also an entitlement to health insurance and it is also possible to register at the job centre and to apply for a work permit.
We would be happy to advise you on this topic (email@example.com).
PS: Please note, that we are no native speakers and that our blogposts were translated with the help of google translate.